This topic is a bit different from the things I usually talk about. Since it is October and it is nearly Halloween and today is also Friday the 13th, and it is chapter 13, I thought why not talk about something superstitious and spooky? I have gathered some useful information which might interest you!
Ψ The history behind Friday the 13th Ψ
Firstly, there is a biblical reference which suggests that the number 13 is an unlucky number. This is because according to the Bible Judas, one of the twelve apostles of Jesus who later betrayed him, was supposedly the 13th guest to sit down at the last supper. Ancient Christianity may also yield some clues as to why Friday is perceived as unlucky. I believe that this could be the fact that the last supper occurred on the 13th of Nisan Maundy Thursday, the night before Jesus death on Good Friday.
Friday was also said to be the day Eve gave Adam the fateful apple from the Tree of Knowledge, as well as the day Cain killed his brother, Abel.
Other interesting facts that links to this theory could be:
- On Friday October 13th 1307 Philip IV of France arrested hundreds of the Knights Templar.
- In his novel Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown cites the 14th century execution of Templar Grand Master Jacques de Molay, which took place on Friday the 13th. He cursed the Pope and the King of France, and this spread misfortune down the ages.
- It is also possible that the publication in 1907 of Thomas W. Lawson’s popular novel Friday, the Thirteenth played a part in disseminating the superstition. In the novel, an unscrupulous stock broker takes advantage of the superstition to create a Wall Street panic on a Friday the 13th.
- In 1976, New Yorker Daz Baxter was apparently so afraid of Friday the 13th he decided the safest place to stay was his bed. Mr Baxter was killed when the floor of his apartment block collapsed that day.
- In 2009, the £13.5 million SAW ride at Thorpe Park had its opening premiere, only to be shut down due to a computer programming fault. Spooky.
- In 2010, lightning struck a 13-year-old Suffolk boy on Friday 13th at 13:13. Definitely unlucky for him.
- During the early 1990s retired bus conductor Bob Renphrey also vowed to stay in bed on the superstitious day after some seriously bad luck. The Welshman has crashed fours cars, fallen into a river and been made redundant on previous Friday the 13ths.
(Source – The Telegraph News)
Instead of going out tonight why not spend it indoors and watch Friday the 13th to complete your day? Thank me later!!!
Or you can watch Final Destination that is all about BAD LUCK!!!
Note: Most of the content on this topic was not written by me, I have just collected information from different sources which might interest you in this particular day.
Thank you for all the love and support ♥