Halloween is not for everyone, you either like it or you don’t. Nevertheless, it is very popular in Britain and North America as well as other parts of the world. Halloween or Hallowe’en (a contraction of All Hallows’ Evening), also known as Allhalloween, All Hallows’ Eve, or All Saints’ Eve, is a celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows’ Day. It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed.
If you celebrate Halloween and still unsure on what to do, why not try:
- Decorate your house or apartment with spooky Halloween decorations, it is not only fun but it is an extra activity for you to do indoors specially now that it is raining all the time.
- If you are like me and prefer to stay indoors and relax like a lazy koala I suggest that you have a marathon of scary movies alone, with family and friends or even cuddle up with your significant other. My top 5 choices of Horror movies would be:
- Scream – because it is a classic and I used to love it when I was younger, you should also try to watch the comedy versions (Scary Movie).
- The Ring – It is another oldie which I probably watched more times that I should’ve watched. It is different and not the typical horror movies about teenagers getting killed by a psychopath or a demon in the middle of nowhere.
- Saw – I used to be so obsessed with all the Saw movies because of all the different scenarios of difficult situations in which for every choice they made, there had to be consequences. It is definitely one of my favourite horror movies of all times!
- Paranormal Activity – I was a bit sceptical with this one at first because of the way it was filmed, it was different but in the end I loved it because of the concept. Evil spirits scaring people by moving objects and elevating characters, it is a very interesting movie. My favourite one was probably Paranormal Activity 3.
- Carrie – I love the movie Carrie, specially the second one because throughout the entire movie, different events take place and the evil character is also the good character. It makes you think about how bullying can affect people.
3. If you are not into movies and want to enjoy your Halloween in a more exciting way, you can research on the different events that are taking place around your area. There are always seasonal events such as parties and activities. Also, you can always organise your own event.
4. Bake, bake, bake! Why not make delicious treats for you and your loved ones and experiment some hot drinks such as pumpkin spice lattes? I will probably post some amazing recipes for you to try!
5. You can also make delicious savoury foods like pumpkin soup.
6. Be adventurous by visiting an actual “haunted” site! Take your friends with you, it could be really fun.
7. If you have the guts, why not visit a corn maze? I would love to try this to be honest but from watching too many scary movies I am quite frightened to do so. One night, me and my friends decided to visit a graveyard and it was really creepy.
8. If you have an outdoors place you can try camping and share scary stories with your friends and family. Build a campfire and roast some marshmallows.
I hope that this was helpful and hopefully this year you will do something more exciting for halloween and enjoy yourself.
Thank you for reading!